Current:Home > ScamsMexico takes mining company to court seeking new remediation effort for Sonora river pollution -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Mexico takes mining company to court seeking new remediation effort for Sonora river pollution
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 02:21:45
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico is pursuing a criminal complaint against the country’s biggest copper producer seeking to force a new remediation effort for a toxic mine spill in the northern state of Sonora nine years ago, an environmental official said Thursday.
The complaint, which was filed in August but announced only on Thursday, centers on remediation funding for eight polluted townships in Sonora.
Mining company Grupo Mexico closed its remediation fund in 2017, arguing that it had met legal requirements.
The government contends that was premature and is asking the courts to order a new fund be established.
“The people, the environment are still contaminated and there are sick people,” said María Luisa Albores González, who heads the government’s Environment Department.
Albores described the August 2014 mine spill as “the most serious environmental disaster in the history of metal mining in Mexico.” Ten million gallons (40 million liters) of acidified copper sulfate flooded from a waste reservoir at Grupo Mexico’s Buenavista mine into the Sonora and Bacanuchi rivers.
The accident, about 62 miles (100 kilometers) from the city of Nogales, has left “alarming” levels of air, water and soil pollution across 94 square miles (250 square kilometers) to this day, according to a government report last month.
Grupo Mexico promised to establish 36 water treatment stations, but only 10 were installed and only two of those were finished, Albores said. Of the latter two, the one in the town of Bacan Noche ran for two years and the other in San Rafael de Aires ran for only a month before both ran out of funding, she said.
The company did not respond to an emailed request for comment on Albores’ announcement, but in a statement it issued last week in response to the government study it said its remediation efforts were successful and legally complete.
The government study “lacks any causal link with the event that occurred in 2014,” the statement said. “They fail to point out other current sources of pollution,” like farm runoff, sewage and other mining, it said,
Albores acknowledged Grupo Mexico’s response speaking to reporters Thursday. “They say: ‘Close the trust, because it has already complied’. It did not comply, it did not fulfill its objective,” she said.
Activists in the affected area were cautiously optimistic after hearing about the government’s legal action. “May there be justice for the people very soon,” said Coralia Paulina Souza Pérez, communications coordinator for local advocacy group PODER.
veryGood! (333)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Washington state trooper fatally shoots a man during a freeway altercation, police say
- Some older Frigidaire and Kenmore ranges pose risk of fires and burn injuries, Electrolux warns
- 3 dead, 3 wounded in early morning shooting in Ohio’s capital
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- This week on Sunday Morning: By Design (May 19)
- Messi napkin sells for nearly $1 million. Why this piece of soccer history is so important
- Missouri candidate with ties to the KKK can stay on the Republican ballot, judge rules
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Deadly storms slam Houston yet again; hundreds of thousands without power across Texas
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Potential signature fraud in Michigan threatens to disrupt congressional races
- Kelly Stafford, Wife of NFL's Matthew Stanford, Weighs in on Harrison Butker Controversy
- Paul Skenes nearly untouchable: Phenom tosses six no-hit innings, beats Cubs in second MLB start
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- This week on Sunday Morning: By Design (May 19)
- Man acquitted in 2016 killing of pregnant woman and her boyfriend at a Topeka apartment
- Potential signature fraud in Michigan threatens to disrupt congressional races
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
3 dead, 3 wounded in early morning shooting in Ohio’s capital
Photos and videos capture damage as strong storm slams Houston: 'Downtown is a mess'
Teen who vanished 26 years ago rescued from neighbor's cellar — just 200 yards from his home in Algeria
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
For decades, states have taken foster children’s federal benefits. That’s starting to change
Attorney John Eastman pleads not guilty to felony charges in Arizona’s fake elector case
Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. New York Liberty on Saturday