Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Arkansas Supreme Court rejects challenge to ballot measure that would revoke casino license -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Oliver James Montgomery-Arkansas Supreme Court rejects challenge to ballot measure that would revoke casino license
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:46:00
LITTLE ROCK,Oliver James Montgomery Ark. (AP) — The Arkansas Supreme Court on Monday rejected part of a lawsuit challenging a measure on the ballot that would revoke the license issued for a planned casino.
Justices unanimously rejected the lawsuit’s claims that the measure should be disqualified for violating several laws regarding signature gathering. The court has yet to rule on a second part of the lawsuit challenging the wording of the ballot measure.
Cherokee Nation Entertainment, which had been awarded the license to build the casino in Pope County earlier this year, sued along with an affiliated group, the Arkansas Canvassing Compliance Committee.
A special master appointed by the court to review evidence disagreed with the lawsuit’s claim that Local Voters in Charge, the group behind the measure, did not submit required paperwork about its paid canvassers. The special master also rejected the lawsuit’s claim that the group violated a ban on paying canvassers per signature.
Local Voters in Charge said it was grateful for the ruling.
“Issue 2’s message of local voter control — that communities should have the final say on a casino in their own hometown — is resonating across the state,” Hans Stiritz, a spokesperson for the group, said in a statement. “We look forward to the court’s final decision on the ballot language challenge, with hope that the vote of the people will be counted on Issue 2 in November.”
Ads regarding the casino measure have been blanketing Arkansas’ airwaves. Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma has donated $5.6 million to Local Voters In Charge. Cherokee Nation Businesses has donated $2.8 million to Investing in Arkansas, the group campaigning against the measure.
The proposed amendment would revoke the license granted for a Pope County casino that has been hung up by legal challenges for the past several years. Pope County was one of four sites where casinos were allowed to be built under a constitutional amendment that voters approved in 2018. Casinos have already been set up in the other three locations.
“While disappointing, we still await the Court’s decision on the ballot title challenge,” Allison Burum, spokesperson for the Arkansas Canvassing Compliance Committee, said in a statement. “Issue 2 is misleading, and its sole purpose is to undo the will of Arkansas voters by eliminating the fourth casino license they approved in 2018.”
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Shop the Best Under $60 Denim Jeans From Levi's, Abercrombie, H&M, Urban Outfitters & More
- It Cosmetics Flash Deal: Get $123 Worth of Products for Just $77
- Iran schoolgirls poisoned as some people seek to stop education for girls, Iranian official says
- Sam Taylor
- John Legend Shares What Has Made Him “Emotional” Since Welcoming Baby Esti With Chrissy Teigen
- House select committee hearing paints China as a strategic antagonist
- Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Trouble In Hollywood As Writers Continue To Strike For A Better Contract
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Amanda Seyfried Recalls How Blake Lively Almost Played Karen in Mean Girls
- This fake 'Jury Duty' really put James Marsden's improv chops on trial
- Summer House's Danielle Olivera Confirms Breakup From Robert Sieber
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- FBI chief says agency feels COVID pandemic likely started with Chinese lab leak
- See the Chicago P.D. Cast Celebrate Their Milestone 200th Episode
- UK worker gets $86,000 after manager allegedly trashed bald-headed 50-year-old men
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
18 Top-Rated Moisturizers Under $25: Honest Beauty, Clinique, Mario Badescu, Aveeno, and More
That '90s Show Star Ashley Aufderheide Keeps These $4 Eye Masks in Her Bag
It Cosmetics Flash Deal: Get $123 Worth of Products for Just $77
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
In 'Are You There, God?' Margaret's story isn't universal — and that's OK
Why aren't more people talking about James Corden's farewell to 'The Late Late Show'?
Chef Kwame Onwuachi wants everyone to have a seat at his table