Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Oklahoma Supreme Court dismisses lawsuit of last Tulsa Race Massacre survivors seeking reparations -TrueNorth Capital Hub
SafeX Pro:Oklahoma Supreme Court dismisses lawsuit of last Tulsa Race Massacre survivors seeking reparations
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:16:16
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The SafeX ProOklahoma Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit of the last two survivors of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, dampening the hope of advocates for racial justice that the government would make amends for one of the worst single acts of violence against Black people in U.S. history.
The nine-member court upheld the decision made by a district court judge in Tulsa last year, ruling that the plaintiff’s grievances about the destruction of the Greenwood district, although legitimate, did not fall within the scope of the state’s public nuisance statute.
“Plaintiffs do not point to any physical injury to property in Greenwood rendering it uninhabitable that could be resolved by way of injunction or other civil remedy,” the court wrote in its decision. “Today we hold that relief is not possible under any set of facts that could be established consistent with plaintiff’s allegations.”
Messages left Wednesday with the survivors’ attorney, Damario Solomon-Simmons, were not immediately returned.
The city said in a statement that it “respects the court’s decision and affirms the significance of the work the City continues to do in the North Tulsa and Greenwood communities,” adding that it remains committed “to working with residents and providing resources to support” the communities.
The suit was an attempt to force the city of Tulsa and others to make recompense for the destruction of the once-thriving Black district by a white mob. In 1921 — on May 31 and June 1 — the white mob, including some people hastily deputized by authorities, looted and burned the district, which was referred to as Black Wall Street.
As many as 300 Black Tulsans were killed, and thousands of survivors were forced for a time into internment camps overseen by the National Guard. Burned bricks and a fragment of a church basement are about all that survive today of the more than 30-block historically Black district.
The two survivors of the attack, Lessie Benningfield Randle and Viola Fletcher, who are both now over 100 years old, sued in 2020 with the hope of seeing what their attorney called “justice in their lifetime.” A third plaintiff, Hughes Van Ellis, died last year at age 102.
The lawsuit was brought under Oklahoma’s public nuisance law, arguing that the actions of the white mob continue to affect the city today. It contended that Tulsa’s long history of racial division and tension stemmed from the massacre.
The city and insurance companies never compensated victims for their losses, and the massacre ultimately resulted in racial and economic disparities that still exist today, the lawsuit argued. It sought a detailed accounting of the property and wealth lost or stolen in the massacre, the construction of a hospital in north Tulsa and the creation of a victims compensation fund, among other things.
In 2019, Oklahoma’s attorney general used the public nuisance law to force opioid drug maker Johnson & Johnson to pay the state $465 million in damages. The Oklahoma Supreme Court overturned that decision two years later.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- St. Louis prosecutor who replaced progressive says he’s ‘enforcing the laws’ in first 6 months
- Supreme Court seems inclined to leave major off-shore tax in place on investors
- Video shows research ship's incredibly lucky encounter with world's largest iceberg as it drifts out of Antarctica
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Why Savannah Chrisley Hasn’t Visited Her Parents Todd and Julie in Prison in Weeks
- All of These Dancing With the Stars Relationships Happened Off the Show
- 2 plead guilty in fire at Atlanta Wendy’s restaurant during protest after Rayshard Brooks killing
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Beyoncé climbs ranks of Forbes' powerful women list: A look back at her massive year
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Treat Yo Elf: 60 Self-Care Gifts to Help You Get Through the Holidays & Beyond
- Patrick Mahomes, Maxx Crosby among NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year 2023 nominees
- Making sense of the most unpredictable College Football Playoff semifinals ever | Podcast
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Wasabi, beloved on sushi, linked to really substantial boost in memory, Japanese study finds
- 23andMe hack let threat actor access data for millions of customers, company says
- Maryland transportation chief proposes $3.3B in budget cuts
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Sabrina Carpenter and Saltburn Actor Barry Keoghan Step Out for Dinner Together in Los Angeles
Two separate earthquakes, magnitudes 5.1 and 3.5, hit Hawaii, California; no tsunami warning
With George Santos out of Congress, special election to fill his seat is set for February
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Two separate earthquakes, magnitudes 5.1 and 3.5, hit Hawaii, California; no tsunami warning
Former top staffer of ex-congressman George Santos: You are a product of your own making
Hollywood performers ratify new contract with studios