Current:Home > reviewsFirst cardinal prosecuted in Vatican's criminal court convicted of embezzlement -TrueNorth Capital Hub
First cardinal prosecuted in Vatican's criminal court convicted of embezzlement
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 07:46:01
A Vatican tribunal on Saturday convicted a cardinal of embezzlement and sentenced him to 5 ½ years in prison in one of several verdicts handed down in a complicated financial trial that aired the city state's dirty laundry and tested its justice system.
Cardinal Angelo Becciu, the first cardinal ever prosecuted by the Vatican criminal court, was absolved of several other charges and nine other defendants received a combination of guilty verdicts and acquittals among the nearly 50 charges brought against them during a 2 ½ year trial.
Becciu's lawyer, Fabio Viglione, said he respected the sentence but would appeal.
Prosecutor Alessandro Diddi said the outcome "showed we were correct."
The trial focused on the Vatican secretariat of state's 350 million euro investment in developing a former Harrod's warehouse into luxury apartments. Prosecutors alleged Vatican monsignors and brokers fleeced the Holy See of tens of millions of euros in fees and commissions and then extorted the Holy See for 15 million euros to cede control of the building.
Prosecution in Vatican's criminal court
Becciu, the first-ever cardinal to be prosecuted in the Vatican's criminal court, was accused of embezzlement-related charges in two tangents of the London deal and faced up to seven years in prison.
In the end, he was convicted of embezzlement stemming from the original investment of 200 million euros in a fund that bought into the London property, as well as for his 125,000 euro donation of Vatican money to a charity run by his brother in Sardinia. He was also convicted of using Vatican money to pay an intelligence analyst who in turn was convicted of using the money for herself.
The trial had raised questions about the rule of law in the city state and Francis' power as absolute monarch, given that he wields supreme legislative, executive and judicial authority and had exercised it in ways the defense says jeopardized a fair trial.
The defense attorneys did praise Judge Giuseppe Pignatone's even-handedness and said they were able to present their arguments amply. But they lamented the Vatican's outdated procedural norms gave prosecutors enormous leeway to withhold evidence and otherwise pursue their investigation nearly unimpeded.
Prosecutors had sought prison terms from three to 13 years and damages of over 400 million euros to try to recover the estimated 200 million euros they say the Holy See lost in the bad deals.
In the end, the tribunal acquitted many of the suspects of many of the charges but ordered the confiscation of 166 million euros from them and payment of civil damages to Vatican offices of 200 million euros. One defendant, Becciu's former secretary Monsignor Mauro Carlino, was acquitted entirely.
The trial was initially seen as a sign of Francis' financial reforms and willingness to crack down on alleged financial misdeeds in the Vatican. But it had something of a reputational boomerang for the Holy See, with revelations of vendettas, espionage and even ransom payments to Islamic militants.
The secretariat of state, for example, sought damages to fund a marketing campaign to try to repair the reputational harm it says it incurred. Even the Vatican communications department said the trial itself had been a "stress test" for the legal system.
London property and charity payments
Much of the London case rested on the passage of the property from one London broker to another in late 2018. Prosecutors allege the second broker, Gianluigi Torzi, hoodwinked the Vatican by maneuvering to secure full control of the building that he relinquished only when the Vatican paid him off 15 million euros.
For Vatican prosecutors, that amounted to extortion. For the defense - and a British judge who rejected Vatican requests to seize Torzi's assets - it was a negotiated exit from a legally binding contract.
In the end, the tribunal convicted Torzi of several charges, including extortion, and sentenced him to six years in prison.
It wasn't clear where the suspects would serve their time. The Vatican has a jail, but Torzi's whereabouts weren't immediately known.
The original London investigation spawned two other tangents that involved the star defendant, Becciu, once one of Francis' top advisers and himself considered a papal contender.
Prosecutors accused Becciu of embezzlement for sending 125,000 euros in Vatican money to a Sardinian charity run by his brother. Becciu argued that the local bishop requested the money to build a bakery to employ at-risk youths and that the money remained in the diocesan coffers.
The tribunal acknowledged the charitable ends of the donation but convicted him of embezzlement, given his brother's role.
Becciu was also accused of paying a Sardinian woman, Cecilia Marogna, for her intelligence services. Prosecutors traced some 575,000 euros in wire transfers from the Vatican to a Slovenian front company owned by Marogna and said she used the money to buy luxury goods and fund vacations.
Becciu said he thought the money was going to pay a British security firm to negotiate the release of Gloria Narvaez, a Colombian nun taken hostage by Islamic militants in Mali in 2017.
He said Francis authorized up to 1 million euros to liberate the nun, an astonishing claim that the Vatican was willing to make ransom payment to al-Qaida-linked militants.
The tribunal found both Becciu and Marogna guilty and sentenced Marogna to three years and 9 months in prison.
- In:
- Pope Francis
- Vatican City
- Pope
veryGood! (485)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- California lawmakers OK bills banning certain chemicals in foods and drinks
- Jets QB Aaron Rodgers has torn left Achilles tendon, AP source says. He’s likely to miss the season
- Infowars host Owen Shroyer gets 2 months behind bars in Capitol riot case
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Slave descendants vow to fight on after Georgia county approves larger homes for island enclave
- Spain strips deceased former Chilean President Pinochet of a Spanish military honor
- 5 former Memphis officers indicted by federal grand jury in Tyre Nichols' death
- Sam Taylor
- Child poverty in the US jumped and income declined in 2022 as coronavirus pandemic benefits ended
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Michigan State won't reveal oversight measures put in place for Mel Tucker after harassment report
- 'The streak is now broken': US poverty rate over time shows spike in 2022 levels
- Child poverty in the US jumped and income declined in 2022 as coronavirus pandemic benefits ended
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Gun-rights advocates protest New Mexico governor’s order suspending right to bear arms in public
- Elderly man, 74, pushed onto NYC subway tracks in unprovoked attack: Police
- 2023 WNBA playoffs: First-round scores, schedules, matchups, predictions
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Jared Leto Reveals This Is the Secret to His Never-Aging Appearance
Kelsea Ballerini is returning to Knoxville for special homecoming show
NY Mets hiring David Stearns as organization's first-ever president of baseball operations
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Jets QB Aaron Rodgers to miss rest of NFL season with torn Achilles, per multiple reports
Ex-NFL receiver Mike Williams dies 2 weeks after being injured in construction accident
Pope’s Ukraine peace envoy heads to China on mission to help return Ukraine children taken to Russia