Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury -TrueNorth Capital Hub
TradeEdge Exchange:Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 02:25:29
ALEXANDRIA,TradeEdge Exchange Va. (AP) — A jury could begin deliberations as soon as Thursday on whether a Virginia-based military contractor bears responsibility for the abuse of detainees 20 years ago at Iraq’s infamous Abu Ghraib prison.
The civil trial underway in U.S. District Court in Alexandria is the second this year involving allegations against Reston-based CACI, which supplied civilian interrogators to Abu Ghraib in 2003 and 2004 to supplement U.S. military efforts after the invasion of Iraq.
The first trial earlier this year ended in a mistrial with a hung jury that could not agree on whether CACI was liable.
The prison abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib shocked the world’s conscience two decades ago after photos became public showing naked, abused inmates forced into humiliating poses.
Military police who were seen in the photos smiling and laughing as they directed the abuse were convicted in military courts-martial. But none of the civilian interrogators from CACI ever faced criminal charges, even though military investigations concluded that several CACI interrogators had engaged in wrongdoing.
The current lawsuit, filed by three former Abu Ghraib detainees, alleges that CACI interrogators contributed to their mistreatment by conspiring with military police to “soften up” detainees for questioning by subjecting them to abuse that included beatings, sexual abuse, forced nudity and dog attacks.
The trial earlier this year was the first time a U.S. jury heard claims brought by Abu Ghraib survivors. It came after 15 years of legal wrangling and multiple appeals that saw the case thrown out, only to be revived on multiple occasions by a federal appeals court.
CACI maintains, as it has from the outset, that it did nothing wrong. It does not deny that some detainees were horribly mistreated, though it has sought to cast doubt on whether the three plaintiffs in this case have been truthful about the specific abuse they have claimed.
But CACI says its employees had nothing to do with the abuse. And they contend that any isolated misconduct by its employees is actually the responsibility of the Army, which CACI contends had complete supervision and control over the civilians it supplied to the war effort.
CACI sought again this week to have the case tossed out of court, arguing in its filings that the plaintiffs “have not presented evidence, nor maintain any claims that CACI personnel directly mistreated them. Instead, Plaintiffs seek to hold CACI vicariously liable for injuries inflicted by others.”
Lawyers for the plaintiffs have said that CACI’s contract with the Army, as well as the Army Field Manual, make clear that CACI is responsible for overseeing its own workers.
U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema, though, has allowed the case to go forward. Closing arguments are expected on Thursday.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Charlie Colin, former bassist and founding member of Train, dies at age 58
- Lo Bosworth on getting 10 hours of sleep, hydrotherapy and 20 years of 'Laguna Beach'
- Bursting can of bear spray drove away grizzly in Teton attack; bear won't be killed: Reports
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Woman jogger killed by naked man rampaging through Swiss park
- Ex Baltimore top-prosecutor Marilyn Mosby sentencing hearing for perjury, fraud begins
- Bursting can of bear spray drove away grizzly in Teton attack; bear won't be killed: Reports
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Men's College World Series champions, year-by-year
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Minneapolis police arrest man in hit-and-run at mosque, investigating possible hate crime
- Trooper was driving around 80 mph on Vermont interstate before crashing into fire truck, report says
- Baltimore’s Catholic archdiocese will cut parishes as attendance falls and infrastructure ages
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Norfolk Southern agrees to $310 million settlement in Ohio train derailment and spill
- Isla Fisher Seen Filming New Bridget Jones Movie Months After Announcing Sacha Baron Cohen Split
- When does the College World Series start? Top teams set their sights on Omaha
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Artist who created Precious Moments figurines depicting teardrop-eyed children dies at the age of 85
General Sherman passes health check but world’s largest trees face growing climate threats
Diaper maker will spend $418 million to expand its Georgia factory, hiring 600
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Seinfeld's Michael Richards Shares Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
Moms for Liberty to spend over $3 million targeting presidential swing state voters
Why Patrick Mahomes Wants Credit as Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift’s “Matchmaker”