Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Federal Trade Commission's request to pause Microsoft's $69 billion takeover of Activision during appeal denied by judge -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Rekubit Exchange:Federal Trade Commission's request to pause Microsoft's $69 billion takeover of Activision during appeal denied by judge
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 07:09:24
A federal judge in Northern California has denied a request from the Federal Trade Commission to pause Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy Activision Blizzard while the FTC appeals the acquisition.
U.S. District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley ruled Tuesday that Microsoft's pending takeover of the video game giant can Rekubit Exchangemove forward, against the FTC's wishes.
In court filings Wednesday, the FTC said it was appealing Corley's decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. However, in an order issued Thursday, Corley denied the FTC's motion to put Microsoft's purchase of Activision, maker of the popular "Call of Duty" game series, on hold while that appeal moves forward.
Microsoft and Activision had previously indicated that a deadline of July 18 had been set to complete the acquisition.
The two companies first announced the deal back in January 2022. The FTC, which is responsible for enforcing antitrust laws, said in December it was suing to block the sale, saying at the time that such a deal would "enable Microsoft to suppress competitors to its Xbox gaming consoles and its rapidly growing subscription content and cloud-gaming business."
In her ruling Tuesday, Corley wrote that "the FTC has not raised serious questions regarding whether the proposed merger is likely to substantially lessen competition in the console, library subscription services, or cloud gaming markets."
The trial in the FTC's lawsuit, which is slated to take place in the FTC's own in-house court, is scheduled to start in August, according to The Associated Press. The FTC's request to Corley for an injunction was an effort to block the merger before that trial starts.
If the deal goes through, it would be the largest acquisition of a video game company in U.S. history.
— Irina Ivanova contributed to this report.
- In:
- Activision Blizzard
- Microsoft
veryGood! (64412)
Related
- Small twin
- American Airlines hits rough air after strategic missteps
- One Tech Tip: Want to turn off Meta AI? You can’t — but there are some workarounds
- US District Judge fatally killed in vehicle crash near Nevada courthouse, authorities say
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- 6th house in 4 years collapses into Atlantic Ocean along North Carolina's Outer Banks
- Lab-grown meat isn’t on store shelves yet, but some states have already banned it
- When does the Nvidia stock split happen? What you need to know
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Is it possible to turn off AI Overview in Google Search? What we know.
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Nelly Korda makes a 10 and faces uphill climb at Women’s Open
- Google to invest $2 billion in Malaysian data center and cloud hub
- Nissan issues urgent warning over exploding Takata airbag inflators on 84,000 older vehicles
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Wildfire near Canada’s oil sands hub under control, Alberta officials say
- Authorities kill alligator after woman's remains were found lodged inside reptile's jaw
- Will Below Deck Med ‘s Captain Sandy Yawn Officiate Aesha Scott's Wedding? The Stew Says...
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
4 Pakistanis killed by Iranian border guards in remote southwestern region, Pakistani officials say
Chiefs' Isaiah Buggs facing two second-degree animal cruelty misdemeanors, per reports
US pledges $135 million in aid to Western-leaning Moldova to counter Russian influence
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Mining giant BHP pledges to invest in South Africa economy as it seeks support for Anglo bid
Vermont police conclude case of dead baby more than 40 years later and say no charges will be filed
Chiefs' Isaiah Buggs facing two second-degree animal cruelty misdemeanors, per reports