Current:Home > FinanceHouston approves $5M to relocate residents living near polluted Union Pacific rail yard -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Houston approves $5M to relocate residents living near polluted Union Pacific rail yard
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:49:57
HOUSTON (AP) — Houston officials on Wednesday approved $5 million for a fund to help relocate residents from neighborhoods located near a rail yard polluted by a cancer-linked wood preservative that has been blamed for an increase in cancer cases.
Residents and local officials have long blamed the high number of cancer cases on contamination from a Union Pacific rail yard near two historically Black neighborhoods, Fifth Ward and Kashmere Gardens. The wood preservative creosote, which has been associated with an increased risk of contracting cancer, was used for more than 80 years at the site until the 1980s. City officials say the contamination has reached the groundwater in the neighborhoods.
During a city council meeting in which the funding was approved, Mayor Sylvester Turner said Houston “has a moral obligation” to help relocate residents away from the four different cancer clusters that have been identified in recent years. Health officials have found higher rates of respiratory cancers as well as childhood cancers, including acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
“That’s the worse condition that you can find yourself in, when you have loved ones or family members or children that are diagnosed and dying of cancer and you feel as though you’re just stuck, while you continue to fight to get the attention of others, or in this case, ask (Union Pacific) to step up,” Turner said.
Turner said relocating families from among the 100 properties that have been affected by the contamination could cost up to $35 million. The city is looking at other sources, including federal funding, to help pay for the relocation program.
The railroad has said that additional testing is needed to accurately determine the “true extent and source” of the contamination in the neighborhoods.
In February, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced an order compelling Union Pacific to conduct additional testing in and around the rail yard.
“Union Pacific is fully committed to following through with the additional testing that all parties, including the city of Houston, agreed is necessary. We are currently in the neighborhood seeking formal permission from residents to conduct these critical soil samples once the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approves the testing plan. This additional testing will provide the essential data needed to make informed decisions regarding any required additional remediation,” Union Pacific spokesperson Kristen South said Wednesday in a statement.
In July, Turner said he didn’t want to wait for additional testing and announced a new city program that would help move residents on a voluntary basis.
Union Pacific has pushed back on the city’s claims. Last month, the railroad announced the Texas Department of State Health Services had found no cancer or other health concerns linked to the presence of chemicals, including dioxins, detected in soil samples taken by the city near the site.
The Houston Health Department accused Union Pacific of misrepresenting the state’s review of the soil samples, saying the rail yard’s “adverse presence in this community is undeniable.”
The approval of the $5 million had been delayed by a week as some residents had wanted more information about how the relocation program would work. Turner said Wednesday’s approval was the first step in a process that will include input from residents on how the program will operate.
“Thank you mayor for what you are doing ... It is definitely needed. We don’t want to continue to have to lose our children and others being diagnosed with cancer,” LaTonya Payne, whose 13-year-old son Corinthian Giles died of leukemia in 2021, told council members on Tuesday.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (411)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- What happened to Alissa Turney, Arizona teen who disappeared in 2001?
- Baby dies at day care in New York City, 3 other children hospitalized
- A new kids' space at an art museum is actually about science
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Massachusetts woman indicted on charges that she killed her three children
- Moose tramples hiker along Colorado trail, officials remind hikers to keep safe distance
- Security forces are seen across Iran as country prepares for anniversary of Mahsa Amini’s death
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Republican presidential hopefuls generally overlook New Hampshire in effort to blunt Trump in Iowa
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- EV battery plant workers fight for better rights, pay
- Three SEC matchups highlight the best college football games to watch in Week 3
- Princess Diana’s sheep sweater smashes records to sell for $1.1 million
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Jeezy files for divorce from Jeannie Mai after 2 years: 'No hope for reconciliation'
- American XL Bully dogs to be banned in the UK following string of attacks
- Prosecutors warned that Trump learning of search warrant could 'precipitate violence'
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Remains exhumed from a Tulsa cemetery as the search for 1921 Race Massacre victims has resumed
Flights canceled and cruise itineraries changed as Hurricane Lee heads to New England and Canada
Rep. Adam Smith calls GOP-led impeachment inquiry against Biden a ridiculous step - The Takeout
'Most Whopper
What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend reading and listening
Court sentences main suspects in Belgium’s deadliest peacetime attack to 20-year to life terms
GM CEO Mary Barra defends position amid UAW strike, says company put 4 offers on the table