Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-2 charged in plot to solicit attacks on minorities, officials and infrastructure on Telegram -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Will Sage Astor-2 charged in plot to solicit attacks on minorities, officials and infrastructure on Telegram
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 08:35:52
WASHINGTON (AP) — Two people who prosecutors say were motivated by white supremacist ideology have Will Sage Astorbeen arrested on charges that they used the social media messaging app Telegram to encourage acts of violence against minorities, government officials and critical infrastructure in the United States, the Justice Department said Monday.
The defendants, identified as Dallas Erin Humber and Matthew Robert Allison, face 15 federal counts in the Eastern District of California, including charges that accuse them of soliciting hate crimes and the murder of federal officials, distributing bombmaking instructions and conspiring to provide material support to terrorists.
Humber, 34, of Elk Grove, California, and Allison, 37, of Boise, Idaho were arrested Friday. It was not immediately clear if either had an attorney who could speak on his behalf.
The indictment accuses the two of leading a transnational group known as Terrorgram that operates on Telegram and espouses white supremacist ideology and violence to its follows.
Justice Department officials say the men used the app to transmit bomb-making instructions, to distribute a list of potential targets for assassination — including a federal judge, a senator and a former U.S. attorney — and to celebrate people accused in prior acts or plots of violence, such as the stabbing last month of five people outside a mosque in Turkey and the July arrest of an 18-year-old accused of planning to attack an electrical substation to advance white supremacist views.
“I think it would be difficult to overstate, the danger and risks that that this group posed,” Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen, the Justice Department’s top national security official, said at a news conference.
The pair’s exhortations to their follows to commit violence included statements such as “Take Action Now” and “Do your part,” according to an indictment unsealed Monday.
“Today’s action makes clear that the department will hold perpetrators accountable, including those who hide behind computer screens, in seeking to carry out bias-motivated violence,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke, the department’s top civil rights official.
The founder and CEO of Telegram, Pavel Durov, was detained by French authorities last month on charges of allowing the platform’s use for criminal activity. Durov responded to the charges by saying he shouldn’t have been targeted personally.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Archaeologists discover 1,000-year-old mummy in one of South America's biggest cities
- Whoopi Goldberg misses season premiere of 'The View' due to COVID-19: 'Me and my mask'
- Most federal oversight of Seattle Police Department ends after more than a decade
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Prince Harry to attend charity event in London -- but meeting up with the family isn’t on the agenda
- First day of school jitters: Influx of migrant children tests preparedness of NYC schools
- Messi, Argentina to play Ecuador in 2026 World Cup qualifying: Time, how to watch online
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Sea lion with knife 'embedded' in face rescued in California
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Homicide suspect escapes from DC hospital, GWU students shelter-in-place for hours
- New data shows increase in abortions in states near bans compared to 2020 data
- Wealthy Russian with Kremlin ties gets 9 years in prison for hacking and insider trading scheme
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- New federal rule may help boost competition for railroad shipments at companies with few options
- Bruce Springsteen postpones remaining September shows due to peptic ulcer
- Prince Harry Returns to London for WellChild Awards Ahead of Queen Elizabeth II's Death Anniversary
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Rail operator pleads guilty in Scottish train crash that killed 3 in 2020
As dollar stores spread across the nation, crime and safety concerns follow
Another inmate dies at Fulton County Jail, 10th inmate death this year
Travis Hunter, the 2
Catholic-Jewish research substantiates reports that Catholic convents sheltered Jews during WWII
Former Finnish prime minister Sanna Marin, who was one of Europe’s youngest leaders, quits politics
Climate activists protested at Burning Man. Then the climate itself crashed the party