Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in the special election to fill his former seat -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Oliver James Montgomery-George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in the special election to fill his former seat
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:14:46
CENTRAL ISLIP,Oliver James Montgomery N.Y. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in next month’s special election to fill his now vacant seat in Congress.
The disgraced New York Republican, who became only the sixth lawmaker in history to be expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives last year, made the comments Tuesday following a brief hearing in federal court on Long Island ahead of his criminal fraud trial, which is slated for later this year.
Santos told reporters that he isn’t likely to cast a ballot at all in the Feb. 13 election for the seat representing the northern parts of Queens and Long Island.
The race pits Mazi Pilip, a relatively unknown Republican county lawmaker, against Democratic former congressman Thomas Suozzi, who previously represented the district for six years during a lengthy career in Long Island politics.
Santos faces a slew of criminal charges in the federal case, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed, and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
In his court hearing Tuesday, there was little talk of a potential plea deal, unlike his previous court appearance in December.
Santos’ lawyer Joseph Murray said only that negotiations remain “productive” and that both sides would report back to the judge if there were any notable developments.
Judge Joanna Seybert also approved a timeline for motions, briefs and other legal filings in preparation for the September trial. Santos now isn’t due back in court until Aug. 13.
Santos was elected in 2022 after campaigning as a self-made Wall Street whiz, but his life story unraveled soon after his election win, when it was revealed that he had lied about where he worked and went to college as well as big chunks of his personal background. He was ousted from his seat following a scathing House Ethics Committee report that said it found “overwhelming evidence” that he had broken the law and exploited his public position for his own profit.
After Tuesday’s hearing, Santos declined to say what else he’s been up to since his ignominious exit from national politics.
In recent months, he’s granted a handful of interviews and launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message.
Santos was asked Tuesday if he missed being in Congress.
“Sure,” he responded. “I worked hard to get there.”
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (32)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- The ancient practice of tai chi is more popular than ever. Why?
- Apologetic rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine gets 45 days in prison for probation violations
- Video shows Starlink satellite that resembled fireball breaking up over the Southwest: Watch
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Gerry Faust, the former head football coach at Notre Dame, has died at 89
- Apologetic rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine gets 45 days in prison for probation violations
- Klay Thompson returns to Golden State in NBA Cup game. How to watch
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Auburn surges, while Kansas remains No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Jury awards Abu Ghraib detainees $42 million, holds contractor responsible
- New York eyes reviving congestion pricing toll before Trump takes office
- Eminem, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, N.W.A. and Janet Jackson get Songwriters Hall of Fame nods
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Richard Allen found guilty in the murders of two teens in Delphi, Indiana. What now?
- Maryland man wanted after 'extensive collection' of 3D-printed ghost guns found at his home
- Sean Diddy Combs' Lawyers File New Motion for Bail, Claiming Evidence Depicts a Consensual Relationship
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Britney Spears Reunites With Son Jayden Federline After His Move to Hawaii
Stressing over Election Day? Try these apps and tools to calm your nerves
The boy was found in a ditch in Wisconsin in 1959. He was identified 65 years later.
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
All the Ways Megan Fox Hinted at Her Pregnancy With Machine Gun Kelly
Lions find way to win, Bears in tough spot: Best (and worst) from NFL Week 10
Sam LaPorta injury update: Lions TE injures shoulder, 'might miss' Week 11