Current:Home > ContactDefense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 04:16:06
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with raping a teenage girl at a youth holding facility in New Hampshire tried to erode the accuser’s credibility at trial Wednesday, suggesting she had a history of lying and changing her story.
Now 39, Natasha Maunsell was 15 and 16 when she was held at the Youth Detention Services Unit in Concord. Lawyers for Victor Malavet, 62, who faces 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, say she concocted the allegations in hopes of getting money from a civil lawsuit.
Testifying for a second day at Malavet’s trial, Maunsell acknowledged that she denied having been sexually assaulted when asked in 2002, 2017 and 2019. She said she lied the first time because she was still at the facility and feared retaliation, and again in the later years because she didn’t think anyone would believe her.
“It had been so long that I didn’t think anybody would even care,” she said. “I didn’t think it would matter to anyone … so I kept it in for a long time.”
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they have come forward publicly, as Maunsell has done. She is among more than 1,100 former residents of youth facilities who are suing the state alleging abuse that spanned six decades.
Malavet’s trial opened Monday. It is the first criminal trial arising from a five-year investigation into allegations of abuse at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the other eight men facing charges, Malavet worked at a different state-run facility where children were held while awaiting court disposition of their cases.
Under questioning from defense lawyer Maya Dominguez, Maunsell acknowledged Wednesday that she lied at age 15 when she told a counselor she had a baby, and that in contrast to her trial testimony, she did not tell police in 2020 that Malavet had kissed her or that he had assaulted her in a storage closet. But she denied the lawyer’s claim that she appeared “angry or exasperated” when questioned about Malavet in 2002.
“I appeared scared,” she said after being shown a video clip from the interview. “I know me, and I looked at me, and I was scared.”
Maunsell also rebutted two attempts to portray her as a liar about money she received in advance of a possible settlement in her civil case. After Dominguez claimed she spent $65,000 on a Mustang, Maunsell said “mustang” was the name of another loan company. And when Dominguez showed her a traffic incident report listing her car as a 2021 Audi and not the 2012 Audi she testified about, Maunsell said the report referred to a newer rental car she was given after she crashed the older car.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors are relying on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
veryGood! (22394)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Bad Bunny, John Stamos and All the Stars Who Stripped Down in NSFW Photos This Summer
- Living It Up With Blue Ivy, Rumi and Sir Carter: The Unusual World of Beyoncé and Jay-Z's 3 Kids
- Prisoners in Ecuador take 57 guards and police hostage as car bombs rock the capital
- Small twin
- Rewriting colonial history: DNA from Delaware graves tells unexpected story of pioneer life
- Bodies of two adults and two children found in Seattle house after fire and reported shooting
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, September 3, 2023
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Southeast Asian leaders are besieged by thorny issues as they hold an ASEAN summit without Biden
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Acuña 121 mph homer hardest-hit ball of year in MLB, gives Braves win over Dodgers in 10th
- Student loan repayments surge ahead of official restart, but many may still be scrambling
- Grand Slam tournaments are getting hotter. US Open players and fans may feel that this week
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- What happened in the 'Special Ops: Lioness' season finale? Yacht extraction, explained
- More small airports are being cut off from the air travel network. This is why
- More than 85,000 TOMY highchairs recalled over possible loose bolts
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Sweet emotion in Philadelphia as Aerosmith starts its farewell tour, and fans dream on
Coach Steve: Lessons to learn after suffering a concussion
MLB power rankings: Rangers, Astros set to clash as 3-team race with Mariners heats up
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Aerosmith Peace Out: See the setlist for the iconic band's farewell tour
Largest wildfire in Louisiana history was caused by arson, state officials say
A second person has died in a weekend shooting in Lynn that injured 5 others