Current:Home > MarketsQueen Elizabeth II Battled Bone Cancer, Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson Says -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Queen Elizabeth II Battled Bone Cancer, Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson Says
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:38:02
Two years after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is making claims regarding the late monarch’s health in her final years.
Johnson writes in his new memoir Unleashed per Today that, “for more than a year that she had a form of bone cancer and her doctors were worried that at any time she could enter a sharp decline.”
Elizabeth died on Sept. 8, 2022 at the age of 96. The cause of death of her death certificate was initially listed as “old age.”
Johnson, who stepped down from his position as prime minister days before Elizabeth’s death, also detailed one of the final visits he had with Her Majesty.
“She seemed pale and more stooped, and she had dark bruising on her hands and her wrists,” he wrote of their final encounter.
However, despite any physical ailments, Johnson said that the queen remained mentally strong up until her death.
“But her mind ... was completely unimpaired,” he wrote, according to the publication. “She still flashed that great white smile in its sudden mood-lifting beauty.”
E! News has reached out to the Palace for comment on Johnson’s memoir and has not yet heard back.
Queen Elizabeth died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, a fact her son King Charles III recently shared was a deliberate choice on the monarch’s part.
"Speaking from a personal perspective, Scotland has always had a uniquely special place in the hearts of my family and myself," Charles said during a speech opening Scottish Parliament on Sept. 30. "My late mother especially treasured the time spent at Balmoral, and it was there, in the most beloved of places, where she chose to spend her final days.”
Excerpts from Boris’ memoir come nine months after Charles himself shared he was diagnosed with an unnamed form of cancer. In late March, his daughter-in-law Kate Middleton also announced she was undergoing preventative chemotherapy, which she has since completed.
"Doing what I can to stay cancer free is now my focus,” Kate—who shares kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis with husband Prince William recently shared. “Although I have finished chemotherapy, my path to healing and full recovery is long and I must continue to take each day as it comes."
For more on how the royals have been faring, read on…
(E! News and Today are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
The royal and her husband of four years Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi are expecting their second child together, the Royal Family announced Oct. 1.
“Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi are very pleased to announce that they are expecting their second child together early in the new year,” the caption of their Instagram post read. “His Majesty The King has been informed and both families are delighted with the news.”
On Sept. 9, the Princess of Wales shared that she had completed chemotherapy after being diagnose with an unspecified form of cancer earlier this year.
"The cancer journey is complex, scary and unpredictable for everyone, especially those closest to you," she said in a video statement. "With humility, it also brings you face to face with your own vulnerabilities in a way you have never considered before, and with that, a new perspective on everything."
The royal added, "Although I have finished chemotherapy, my path to healing and full recovery is long and I must continue to take each day as it comes. I am however looking forward to being back at work and undertaking a few more public engagements in the coming months when I can."
The Princess of Wales returned to the spotlight on June 15—three months after sharing her cancer diagnosis—for the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London. She was joined by her husband Prince William and their three kids: Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
The Princess Royal was discharged after a five-day stay at Southmead Hospital. Her husband, Tim Laurence, said in a statement June 28, "I would like to extend my warmest thanks to all the team at Southmead Hospital for their care, expertise and kindness during my wife’s short stay."
The younger sister of King Charles III sustained minor injuries during an incident at her estate Gatcombe Park, Buckingham Palace has announced.
"Her Royal Highness remains in Southmead Hospital, Bristol, as a precautionary measure for observation and is expected to make a full and swift recovery," the June 24 statement, shared to X, read. "The King has been kept closely informed and joins the whole Royal Family in sending his fondest love and well-wishes to The Princess for a speedy recovery."
Nearly three months after sharing her cancer diagnosis, the Princess of Wales said that she's "making good progress" with chemotherapy, though there are "good days and bad days" amid her health journey.
"On those bad days you feel weak, tired and you have to give in to your body resting," Kate wrote on Instagram June 14. "But on the good days, when you feel stronger, you want to make the most of feeling well."
She added, "My treatment is ongoing and will be for a few more months. On the days I feel well enough, it is a joy to engage with school life, spend personal time on the things that give me energy and positivity, as well as starting to do a little work from home."
On May 13, King Charles III bestowed the title of Colonel-in-Chief of the Army Air Corps to his oldest son, sparking controversy as many royal watchers believed the title would be more suited for Prince Harry, who trained and served in the military branch.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
veryGood! (56)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Micro communities for the homeless sprout in US cities eager for small, quick and cheap solutions
- Bloodstained Parkland building will be razed. Parent says it's 'part of moving forward'
- Holly Bobo murder case returns to court, 7 years after a Tennessee man’s conviction
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- South Florida compared to scenes from a zombie movie as widespread flooding triggers rare warning
- Are prebiotic sodas like Poppi healthy? Here's what dietitians say after lawsuit filed
- Vietnam War veteran comes out as gay in his obituary, reveals he will be buried next to the love of my life
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 9 swimmers you should know for Olympic swimming trials: Kate Douglass, Regan Smith
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Biden says he won't commute any sentence Hunter gets: I abide by the jury decision
- US diplomat warns of great consequences for migrants at border who don’t choose legal pathways
- Rhode Island lawmakers approve $13.9 billion budget plan, slew of other bills
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Heavy rain continues flooding South Florida: See photos
- It's the most Joy-ful time of the year! 🥰
- Michigan coach fired, facing charges after video shows him choking teen at middle school
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
'Sopranos' doc reveals 'truth' about the ending, 'painful' moments for James Gandolfini
Florida prepares for next round of rainfall after tropical storms swamped southern part of the state
A Virginia school board restored Confederate names. Now the NAACP is suing.
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Are prebiotic sodas like Poppi healthy? Here's what dietitians say after lawsuit filed
Alex Jones could lose his Infowars platform to pay for Sandy Hook conspiracy lawsuit
Google CEO testifies at trial of collapsed startup Ozy Media and founder Carlos Watson