Current:Home > FinanceActor Jonathan Majors receives mixed verdict in criminal domestic violence trial -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Actor Jonathan Majors receives mixed verdict in criminal domestic violence trial
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:02:28
Actor Jonathan Majors, once a promising and fast-rising Hollywood star, was found guilty on two out of four charges in a domestic violence criminal case in New York on Monday afternoon. He was found guilty on two counts — assault in the third degree and harassment in the second degree — relating to an incident with his former girlfriend, Grace Jabbari. Each of the charges in which he was found guilty is considered a misdemeanor in New York.
In the mixed verdict, the jury found Majors innocent of intentional assault in the third degree and aggravated harassment in the second degree.
The encounter between Majors and Jabbari took place in Manhattan on Mar. 25. Prosecutors accused the 34-year-old Majors of attacking Jabbari in the back of a car, and then picking her up and pushing her back into the car when she tried to follow him out of the vehicle at a downtown intersection.
The two had argued in the car after Jabbari saw a text Majors had received from another woman; prosecutors said Jabbari grabbed the actor's phone and Majors reacted by pulling her finger, twisting her arm behind her back, and hitting her in the head in an attempt to retrieve his phone. Majors eventually jumped out of the car at an intersection. When Jabbari tried to follow him, video evidence showed, Majors picked her up and shoved her back into the car. Majors then ran down the street, with Jabbari chasing after him.
Majors went to a hotel, while Jabbari – who testified that she didn't want to be alone after the attack – went out to a club. When Majors returned to his apartment some hours later, he allegedly found her unconscious, and called 911 to report that he thought she may have tried to commit suicide. The jury heard the 911 call.
However, Majors was arrested by NPYD officers who had responded to that call; they found Jabbari with cuts, bruises and a broken finger. Jabbari was cleared of mental health concerns after a relatively brief, three-hour examination.
Majors was originally charged with assault in the third degree with intent to cause physical injury, assault in the third degree recklessly causing physical injury, aggravated harassment in the second degree and harassment in the second degree. After his arrest, Majors also accused Jabbari of assaulting him, but the Manhattan district attorney's office did not pursue charges against her.
During the trial, the jury saw and heard evidence that the March 2022 incident was not the first time Majors may have hurt Jabbari. In a series of text messages between Jabbari and Majors from Sept. 2022, the couple discussed a prior conflict in which Jabbari suffered head injuries. Majors threatened to kill himself, writing: "I'm a monster. A horrible man. Not capable of love." The jurors also heard an audio recording of a separate argument the two had the same month, in which Majors told Jabbari that she needed to act more like Coretta Scott King and Michelle Obama. "I'm a great man," he said on the tape.
Majors had been a rising star in Hollywood until his arrest. His first noteworthy role was in the 2019 independent film The Last Black Man in San Francisco; the following year, he appeared in the HBO series Lovecraft Country. Then came a string of larger films: just weeks before his arrest, he starred opposite Michael B. Jordan in Creed III, and he was introduced as a villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Kang the Conqueror, via Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, and he appeared in Season Two of the Disney+ show Loki. A Kang-centered movie is planned for release in possibly 2026.
While Disney and Marvel have not yet officially changed their Kang plans, Majors has sustained substantial public image damage already. It remains to be seen whether the pop-culture, family-friendly behemoth will be able to put Majors forward as the Marvel Cinematic Universe's next big star.
The judge in the case, New York criminal court judge Michael Gaffey, has barred Majors from having any contact with Jabbari.
Majors' sentencing date has been set for Feb. 6.
veryGood! (534)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Indian states vote in key test for opposition and PM Modi ahead of 2024 national election
- The Philadelphia Orchestra returns to China for tour marking 50 years since its historic 1973 visit
- A climate tech startup — and Earthshot Prize finalist — designs new method to reduce clothing waste
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Starbucks to raise baristas' hourly wages starting in January
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly lower as Australia’s central bank raises its key rate
- Ethics agency says Delaware officials improperly paid employees to care for seized farm animals
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Nearly 1M chickens will be killed on a Minnesota farm because of bird flu
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- James Corden to host SiriusXM show 'This Life of Mine with James Corden': 'A new chapter'
- Step Inside Olivia Culpo's Winning Bachelorette Party Ahead of Christian McCaffrey Wedding
- ‘Priscilla’ stars Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi on trust, Sofia and souvenirs
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Michigan State men's basketball upset at home by James Madison in season opener
- Nashville investigating after possible leak of Covenant shooting images
- Michigan football served notice of potential disciplinary action from Big Ten
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Iowa to pay $10 million to siblings of adopted teen girl who died of starvation in 2017
WeWork seeks bankruptcy protection, a stunning fall for a firm once valued at close to $50 billion
Félix Verdejo, ex-boxer convicted of killing pregnant lover Keishla Rodríguez Ortiz, gets life sentence
Trump's 'stop
What to know about Issue 1 in Ohio, the abortion access ballot measure, ahead of Election Day 2023
German federal court denies 2 seriously ill men direct access to lethal drug dose
Colorado is deciding if homeowner tax relief can come out of a refund that’s one-of-a-kind in the US