Current:Home > InvestAnother former Blackhawks player sues team over mishandling of sexual abuse -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Another former Blackhawks player sues team over mishandling of sexual abuse
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:30:01
A second former player in the Chicago Blackhawks organization has filed a lawsuit against the team, alleging that it mishandled claims of sexual abuse levied against a video coach during the 2009-10 NHL season.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday in Cook County, Illinois by a plaintiff identified only as John Doe. It comes a little more than two years after another player, Kyle Beach, publicly alleged that he had been sexually assaulted by the same coach, Brad Aldrich, during the team's run to the 2010 Stanley Cup.
Attorneys who represent Doe said in a news conference Monday that Beach's willingness to speak out about his experience in 2021 "gave (our client) the courage" to do the same now, adding that Beach will likely be asked to testify in the new case.
"This case is about institutional negligence at its worst," one of the attorneys, Antonio Romanucci, said, "where the culture of win at all costs allowed a predator coach to abuse players at a time where the coach knew he could act with impunity."
The Blackhawks said in a statement that they take all allegations of workplace misconduct seriously and have implemented organizational changes since Beach came forward in 2021.
"This includes completely rebuilding the leadership team with personnel who demonstrate our values and bring the right subject matter expertise in the critical areas of compliance and human resources, an expansive mental health program, and new reporting mechanisms and training for all employees," the team said.
"Until we learn more about this pending litigation, we will refrain from commenting with any additional specifics."
The new lawsuit alleges that Aldrich "groomed, harassed, threatened and assaulted" Doe during the 2009-10 season when Doe, like Beach, was a minor-league player in Chicago's organization on the "Black Aces" – a group of prospects made available to play for the NHL team when needed.
Doe claims in the lawsuit that Aldrich "became overtly and aggressively sexual" toward Doe, including rubbing Doe's feet while he was being intimate with a woman and sending Doe a picture of his genitals, among other allegations. He alleges that he reported the photo to the Blackhawks' team president at the time, through his secretary, but no action was taken.
The timeline of Doe's claims overlaps with those made by Beach, who came forward publicly in 2021. A team-commissioned investigation into Beach's claims in 2021 found that Blackhawks brass were aware of the claims against Aldrich but failed to take action for three weeks after being notified. Aldrich, who told investigators that he had a sexual encounted with Beach but it was consensual, was permitted to resign at the end of the season.
The external investigation led to the departures of several Blackhawks executives, including senior vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac and general manager Stan Bowman, as well as a $2 million for the organization. Beach also later sued the Blackhawks; the two sides reached a settlement in December 2021.
Doe's lawsuit includes six claims, including negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress. He is seeking a jury trial and more than $300,000 in compensatory damages.
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (2882)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- 21 Non-Alcoholic Beverages To Help You Thrive During Dry January and Beyond
- Nick Cannon's Christmas Gift From Bre Tiesi Is a Nod to All 12 of His Kids
- Argentina’s new president lays off 5,000 government employees hired in 2023, before he took office
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- A Greek air force training jet crashes outside a southern base and search is underway for the pilot
- Despair then delight at Old Trafford as United beats Villa in 1st game after deal. Liverpool top
- Teenager Najiah Knight wants to be the first woman at bull riding’s top level. It’s an uphill dream
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Vikings TE T.J. Hockenson out for season after injury to ACL, MCL
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- NBA Christmas Day winners and losers: Luka Doncic dazzles. Steve Kerr goes on epic rant.
- Houston Texans claim oft-suspended safety Kareem Jackson off waivers
- Madewell's Post-Holiday Sale Goes Big with $9 Tops, $41 Jeans, $39 Boots & More
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Buffalo Bills playoff clinching scenarios for NFL Week 17: It's simple. Win and get in.
- North Dakota Republican leaders call on state rep to resign after slurs to police during DUI stop
- Bill Granger, chef who brought Aussie-style breakfast to world capitals, dies at 54
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Americans sour on the primary election process and major political parties, an AP-NORC poll says
Offshore wind in the U.S. hit headwinds in 2023. Here's what you need to know
These 5 charts show how life got pricier but also cheaper in 2023
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Horoscopes Today, December 26, 2023
Parasite Actor Lee Sun-kyun Dead at 48
Despair then delight at Old Trafford as United beats Villa in 1st game after deal. Liverpool top