Current:Home > MarketsThe head of Arkansas’ Board of Corrections says he’s staying despite governor’s call for resignation -TrueNorth Capital Hub
The head of Arkansas’ Board of Corrections says he’s staying despite governor’s call for resignation
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:49:36
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Friday called for the head of the Board of Corrections to immediately resign in the latest round of a dispute over who runs the state’s prison system.
Sanders’ letter came after Board of Corrections Chairman Benny Magness requested Wednesday that 138 National Guard members be deployed to work full time in the state’s prisons to “help fill in staffing gaps.”
Magness intends to finish his term, which ends in two years, Corrections Department spokesperson Dina Tyler said in an email Friday to The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Magness was appointed to the board in 1999 by Sanders’ father, then-Gov. Mike Huckabee.
The dispute stems from the Sanders administration moving forward with opening 622 temporary prison beds that the board has not approved. Board members have said opening the temporary beds would jeopardize the safety of inmates and staff.
Arkansas’ prisons are currently above capacity, with more than 1,600 additional state inmates being held in county jails.
Sanders wrote in her letter Friday that if the board wants more beds, it should reinstate Corrections Secretary Joe Profiri and implement his “plan to safely reopen beds with no additional personnel needed.”
“I will not inject our guardsmen and women into a purely political situation caused by the very person requesting them,” Sanders said in her letter to Magness.
Tyler noted that the guard members would not directly supervise inmates but would fill support positions for security, including in towers and at entrances. A similar strategy has been used in other states such as Florida and New Hampshire, the department said.
The board last week suspended Profiri and sued the state over a new law that took away the panel’s hiring and firing power over Profiri and and gave it to the governor. A judge issued a temporary order blocking the law and set a hearing for next week in the case. Attorney General Tim Griffin has asked the court to reconsider its order.
The blocked law also would have given the corrections secretary, not the board, hiring and firing authority over the correction and community correction division directors.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- In a win for Black voters in redistricting case, Alabama to get new congressional lines
- Rifle manufacturer created by Bushmaster founder goes out of business
- Uber Eats will accept SNAP, EBT for grocery deliveries in 2024
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Can AirPods connect to Android? How to pair the headphones with non-apple devices.
- Donatella Versace calls out Italy's anti-LGBTQ legislation: 'We must all fight for freedom'
- Tech CEO Pava LaPere Found Dead at 26: Warrant Issued for Suspect's Arrest
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- How to see the harvest supermoon
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Ukraine war effort aided by arrival of U.S. tanks as doubts raised over killing of Russian fleet commander
- Armed man arrested outside Virginia church had threatened attack, police say
- Christian Thielemann chosen to succeed Daniel Barenboim as music director of Berlin’s Staatsoper
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Lahaina family finds heirloom in rubble of their home on first visit after deadly wildfire
- Alabama woman charged with murder nearly a decade after hit-and-run victim went missing
- Crucial for a Clean Energy Economy, the Aluminum Industry’s Carbon Footprint Is Enormous
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Travis Kelce breaks silence on Taylor Swift appearance at Chiefs game
IMF says Sri Lanka needs to boost reforms and collect more taxes for its bailout funding package
A Belgian bishop says the Vatican has for years snubbed pleas to defrock a pedophile ex-colleague
Sam Taylor
Stock market today: Asian shares mostly lower after Wall Street retreat deepens
Massachusetts man indicted on charges of trying to open jet’s door, attacking crew on United flight
Egyptian rights group says 73 supporters of a presidential challenger have been arrested