Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 09:11:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1149)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- UN says Colombia’s coca crop at all-time high as officials promote new drug policies
- Danelo Cavalcante update: Sister arrested by immigration officials; search remains ongoing
- Norway’s intelligence agency says the case of arrested foreign student is ‘serious and complicated’
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- U.K. police catch terrorism suspect Daniel Khalife, who escaped from a London prison
- UAW president calls GM’s contract counteroffer ‘insulting’: What’s in it
- 7 people have died in storms in southern China and 70 crocodiles are reported to be on the loose
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Malaysia’s Appeals Court upholds Najib’s acquittal in one of his 1MDB trial
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Spicy food challenges have a long history. Have they become too extreme?
- Disney, Charter settle cable dispute hours before ‘Monday Night Football’ season opener
- NFL Sunday Ticket: How to watch football on YouTube TV, stream on YouTube for 2023 season
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Scarfing down your food? Here's how to slow down and eat more mindfully
- Luis Rubiales resigns as Spain's soccer federation president after unwanted World Cup kiss
- Aerosmith postpones shows after frontman Steven Tyler suffers vocal cord damage
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
California fast food workers to get $20 minimum wage under new deal between labor and the industry
Kelly Osbourne Admits She Went a Little Too Far With Weight Loss Journey After Having Her Son
Watch brave farmer feed 10,000 hungry crocodiles fresh meat every day
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Novak Djokovic wins U.S. Open, tying Margaret Court's all-time record of 24 major titles
Hurricane Lee generates big swells along northern Caribbean while it churns through open waters
Full transcript of Face the Nation, Sept. 10, 2023