Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Jury deliberates in first criminal trial linked to New Hampshire youth center abuse -TrueNorth Capital Hub
TradeEdge-Jury deliberates in first criminal trial linked to New Hampshire youth center abuse
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:52:27
CONCORD,TradeEdge N.H. (AP) — Jurors in the first criminal trial linked to New Hampshire’s sprawling child abuse scandal began deliberating Thursday in the case of a former youth detention center worker charged with repeatedly raping a teenage girl two decades ago.
Victor Malavet, 62, is one of nine men charged in connection with the 5-year-old investigation into abuse allegations at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the others, he worked at a separate state-run facility in Concord. He has pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault against a resident of the Youth Detention Services Unit, a temporary holding facility for children with cases in court.
Malavet did not testify at his four-day trial, and his attorneys called no witnesses. But jurors heard him deny the allegations Thursday during the testimony of a state police officer who had been authorized to secretly record her interview with him in April 2021. In a 45-minute excerpt played in court, Malavet said he did not have sex with Natasha Maunsell, who was 15 and 16 when she was held at the facility in 2001 and 2002.
“The only relationship I had with her, and all the kids, was just a professional relationship,” he said.
Malavet told police it was common for staff to gravitate toward residents they felt a connection with but insisted nothing inappropriate happened with Maunsell. He acknowledged being transferred to the Manchester facility after others questioned their relationship, but he accused them of “spreading rumors” and suggested he was targeted because he is Puerto Rican.
“People just couldn’t understand that I was trying to mentor her,” he said.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they’ve been sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly as Maunsell has done. Over the course of two days, she testified that Malavet arranged to be alone with her in a candy storage room, the laundry room and other locations and then repeatedly raped her.
“Natasha was the perfect victim,” Senior Assistant Attorney General Meghan Hagaman said in her closing statement. “She was alone and afraid. But she’s not a child anymore. She’s not afraid anymore. She’s not ashamed anymore. And that man does not control her anymore.”
In her closing statement, defense attorney Jaye Duncan argued that Malavet should be acquitted based in part on “shocking inconsistencies” not only between Maunsell’s testimony and her past statements but among the various prosecution witnesses.
Maunsell testified that she denied having sex with Malavet when questioned in 2002, 2017, and 2019 because she was scared and thought no one would believe her. But Duncan said she only came forward after other detention center residents sued the state. Maunsell is among more than 1,100 former residents who have filed lawsuits alleging abuse spanning six decades and has received about $150,000 in loans in advance of a settlement.
“It’s all lies. Money changes everything, but it can’t change the truth, and the truth is, Natasha made these allegations to get paid,” Duncan said.
The prosecutor countered that the civil and criminal cases are separate, and Maunsell was not required to pursue criminal charges in order to win her civil suit.
“If this was all about money, why would Natasha participate in the criminal case? She could sue, get money and be done,” Hagaman said. “Why come into this courtroom and tell a roomful of strangers the horrific details about that man repeatedly raping her?”
Two of the charges allege sexual contact without consent while the other 10 allege that Malavet was in a position of authority over Maunsell and used that authority to coerce her into sex. His attorney denied there was any sexual contact, consensual or otherwise.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors relied on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
Jurors deliberated for about two hours Thursday before ending for the day.
veryGood! (6343)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Ukrainian military chief hints that counteroffensive could be coming soon
- Would Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright Return to Vanderpump Rules? They Say…
- See Matt Damon's Rare Night Out With His All-Grown Up Kids and Wife Luciana Barroso
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? Creator Reveals the One Thing Nickelodeon Wouldn’t Let Them Do
- The Bachelor's Zach Shallcross Admits Finale Drama With Gabi Elnicki Was Really Painful
- The Bachelor Finale: Find Out If Zach Shallcross Got Engaged
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Turkey's President Erdogan wins runoff election, set to remain in power until 2028
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Russia claims to repel new attacks by Ukraine, but Kyiv urges silence on long-awaited counteroffensive
- Cardi B and Her Entire Family Have Joined the Cast of the Baby Shark Movie
- 90 Day Fiancé Sneak Peek: Jen Says She's Disgusted After Rishi Sends Shirtless Pic to a Catfish
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Vanderpump Rules’ Tom Sandoval Shares His Regrets About Affair With Raquel Leviss
- Rihanna Shares Glimpse at Her Delicious Pregnancy Cravings That Will Make Your Mouth Water
- Plane door opened minutes before landing, leading to immediate arrest of passenger in South Korea
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Jeremy Renner Shares How 10-Year-Old Daughter Ava Has Healed Him After Accident
Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off St. Tropez, Benefit Cosmetics, Philosophy, GlamGlow, and Nabla
Stretch of Venice's Grand Canal mysteriously turns phosphorescent green
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
TLC's Chilli Sets the Record Straight on Her Baby and Wedding Plans Amid Matthew Lawrence Romance
Ukraine says Russia blew up major dam from inside, endangering thousands of people and a nuclear plant
Kerry Washington Unveils Memoir Cover and Shares How She Got in Touch With Her True Self