Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Sicily Yacht Sinking: Identities Revealed of People Missing After Violent Storm -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Robert Brown|Sicily Yacht Sinking: Identities Revealed of People Missing After Violent Storm
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:29:56
Additional details are Robert Brownemerging about the tragedy in Sicily.
After a super yacht was sunk by a storm while anchored off the Italian island August 19, authorities have confirmed the identities of the six still-missing passengers.
British tech mogul Mike Lynch and his daughter, Morgan Stanley International Chairman Jonathan Bloomer and his wife, as well as Clifford Chance lawyer Chris Morvillo and his wife remain missing, Director of Sicily’s Civil Protection Agency Salvatore Cocina told NBC News.
While Cocina did not share the names of Lynch’s daughter, nor Morvillo and Bloomers’ spouses, the latter two have been identified as Judy Bloomer and Neda Morvillo by their husband’s employers.
Cocina previously confirmed Lynch’s wife Angela Bacares had been rescued. Their 18-year-old daughter Hannah remains among the missing passengers, per NBC News.
While the six passengers are still missing, the body of the ship’s cook, identified by Antiguan News Room as Antiguan citizen Ricardo Thomas, was previously retrieved from the water.
Lynch had been cleared of fraud charges related to Hewlett Packard's $11 billion takeover of his company Autonomy Corp, according to the Associated Press, earlier this summer. The boat trip appeared to be a kind of acquittal celebration, as Morvillo was one of his U.S. lawyers and Bloomer testified in his defense.
In total, a crew of 10 people and 12 passengers had been aboard Lynch’s yacht when it was struck by a sudden storm, including a type of waterborne tornado called a waterspout which ultimately sunk the vessel. It is believed that the bodies of the remaining missing are in the ship’s hull, which is currently more than 150 feet underwater.
Among those onboard, 15 were rescued by a nearby boat before coast guard vessels brought them to shore. According to NBC News, eight of the rescued were moved to a hospital while the remaining seven were brought to a hotel.
On August 20, NBC News reported rescue teams and divers had been searching the area for the remaining passengers after a previously unsuccessful attempt the day before.
Italy’s national fire department confirmed, per the outlet, that its divers had been able to get inside the wreckage in the initial attempt, however obstructions and narrow access gates made navigating the vessel challenging.
Divers worked in 12-minute shifts underwater due to the depth of the wreckage, while surface searches consisted of a helicopter and a fire brigade boat, the department added.
Meanwhile, one of the surviving passengers Charlotte Golunski has recounted her terrifying experience, explaining that she and her partner James Emsley as well as her 12-month-old daughter Sophie survived because they were on the yacht’s deck as it started to sink.
The group of three were thrown from the deck, she told local outlet La Repubblica, per the BBC, where she then held her baby "afloat with all my strength, my arms stretched upwards to keep her from drowning.”
“It was all dark,” Golunski recounted. “In the water I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I screamed for help but all I could hear around me was the screams of others.”
(NBC News and E! News are both part of NBCUniversal.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (196)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Honeymoon now a 'prison nightmare,' after Hurricane Beryl strands couple in Jamaica
- 'Sepia Bride' photography goes viral on social media, sparks debate about wedding industry
- Watch this 100-year-old World War II veteran marry his 96-year-old bride in Normandy
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- John Cena announces he will retire in 2025; WrestleMania 41 will be his last
- Judy Belushi Pisano, actress and widow of John Belushi, dies at 73
- Bronny James expected to make NBA summer league debut Saturday: How to watch
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- How police rescued a woman from a ritual killing amid massive Mexican trafficking network
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Watch this 100-year-old World War II veteran marry his 96-year-old bride in Normandy
- Powerball winning numbers for July 6 drawing: Jackpot now worth $29 million
- John Cena announces he will retire in 2025; WrestleMania 41 will be his last
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Megan Fox, Machine Gun Kelly, Tom Brady, more at Michael Rubin's July 4th party
- Alec Baldwin is about to go on trial in the death of a cinematographer. Here are key things to know
- Tour de France standings: Race outlook after Stage 9
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
NHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks
Judy Belushi Pisano, widow of 'SNL' icon John Belushi, dies at 73
As ‘Bachelor’ race issues linger, Jenn Tran, its 1st Asian American lead, is ready for her moment
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
'MaXXXine' ends trilogy in bloody style. But is it truly done? Spoilers!
NASCAR at Chicago 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Grant Park 165
Delaware judge refuses to dismiss lawsuit in battle over estate of the late pop icon Prince