Current:Home > ScamsAustralia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 09:15:54
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ordered an inquiry into why 20-year-old Cabinet documents relating to Australia joining the United States-led Iraq invasion remain secret, saying Wednesday that Australians have a right to know why their country went to war in 2003.
On Monday, the National Archives of Australia released 2003 Cabinet records in keeping with an annual Jan. 1 practice following the expiration of a 20-year secrecy provision.
But 78 documents relating to the Iraq war were withheld because they were prepared for the National Security Committee, a subset of Cabinet ministers who make decisions relating to national security and foreign policy.
Committing Australia to war was the committee’s decision.
Albanese blamed the former conservative government of Prime Minister Scott Morrison for failing to follow the usual practice of handing over all documents to the archive three years before their due release date.
Retired public servant Dennis Richardson had been appointed to investigate over two weeks whether the documents had been withheld as part of a political cover up, Albanese said.
A former conservative government’s decision to send Australian combat troops to back U.S. and British forces in the Iraq invasion was opposed by Albanese’s center-left Labor Party, then in opposition, and triggered Australia’s biggest street protests since the Vietnam War.
Albanese said the archive should release the documents once they have been examined for any national security issues that could exempt them from rules mandating they be made public after 20 years.
“Let me make it very clear of what my government’s position is: Australians have a right to know the basis upon which Australia went to war in Iraq,” Albanese told reporters.
“If this doesn’t occur, we’ll look at whether the government needs to take further action to ensure that there’s transparency here,” Albanese added.
The government department responsible for passing the documents to the archive blamed “administrative oversights” likely caused by pandemic disruption for them not reaching the archive in 2020.
The department said in a statement the archive now had the documents and would consult with security agencies before deciding whether they could be released.
The archive said in a statement it would decide within 90 business days” whether the documents would be made public. The archive had received the documents on New Year’s Eve and was giving priority to examining them, the statement said.
veryGood! (68513)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- CBS Mornings co-host Tony Dokoupil describes roller coaster weekend with 2 kids, ex-wife in war-torn Israel
- California becomes the first state to ban 4 food additives linked to disease
- The former chairman of the Arkansas State Medical Board has been arrested for Medicaid fraud
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Study shows how Americans feel about changing their last name after marriage
- Vermont police search for killer of a retired college dean shot on trail near university
- U.S. sends aircraft carrier group to eastern Mediterranean in response to Hamas attack on Israel
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Caitlin Clark has become the first college athlete to secure an NIL deal with State Farm
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Cops are on trial in two high-profile cases. Is it easier to prosecute police now?
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones still believes Dak Prescott can take team to Super Bowl
- Details on Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling’s Next Movie After Barbie Revealed
- Sam Taylor
- Major Navigator CO2 pipeline project is on hold while the company reevaluates the route in 5 states
- Georgia’s rising public high school graduation rate hits record in 2023
- Wrong-way driver causes fiery wreck western Georgia highway, killing 3, officials say
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Caitlin Clark has become the first college athlete to secure an NIL deal with State Farm
Raiders vs. Packers Monday Night Football highlights: Las Vegas ends three-game skid
White House condemns a violent crash at the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco
'Most Whopper
Kayla Nicole Shares Powerful Message Addressing Backlash Amid Ex Travis Kelce's Rumored Romance
Exxon Mobil executive arrested on sexual assault charge in Texas
Sweden’s police chief says escalation in gang violence is ‘extremely serious’