Current:Home > ContactPredictIQ-Trial moved to late 2024 for Indiana man charged in killings of 2 girls slain during hiking trip -TrueNorth Capital Hub
PredictIQ-Trial moved to late 2024 for Indiana man charged in killings of 2 girls slain during hiking trip
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 09:24:30
FORT WAYNE,PredictIQ Ind. (AP) — The trial for an Indiana man charged in the killings of two teenage girls slain in 2017 during a hiking trip was moved Tuesday from January to next October after the presiding judge told the suspect she will not allow his former attorneys to represent him.
At Tuesday’s hearing, Special Judge Fran Gull officially removed Allen’s former court-appointed defense attorneys, Bradley Rozzi and Andrew Baldwin, from the case after they had sought to represent him pro bono, or at no cost.
“I cannot and will not allow these attorneys to represent you,” Gull told Allen during a hearing in Fort Wayne. “I’m sorry that this has happened, Mr. Allen.”
Gull had announced before a scheduled Oct. 19 hearing that Baldwin had made an oral motion to withdraw from the case and that she expected Rozzi to submit a motion to withdraw within days amid questions about the security of evidence in the case.
Allen, 51, was arrested in October 2022 and charged with two counts of murder in the 2017 slayings of 13-year-old Abigail Williams and 14-year-old Liberty German. The Delphi, Indiana, man has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
A relative of one of the teenagers dropped them off on Feb. 13, 2017, at a hiking trail near their hometown of Delphi, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Indianapolis. The teens, known as Abby and Libby, were reported missing that evening after they didn’t show up at a meeting place to be picked up. Their bodies were found the next day in a rugged, heavily wooded area near the trail.
Allen’s trial had been scheduled for January, but Gull rescheduled it on Tuesday for Oct. 15-Nov. 1, 2024, after his new attorneys, William S. Lebrato and Robert C. Scremin, said in a filing that “it will be impossible for counsel to be ready for trial in January, 2024.”
Both men were appointed by the court on Friday as Allen’s new attorneys.
Last week, Rozzi, one of Allen’s former attorneys, filed a motion seeking to disqualify Gull from the case, claiming that she violated a number of rules of judicial conduct. That filing asked that Gull recuse herself and that a new judge be appointed.
On Monday, other attorneys for Allen filed a motion asking the Indiana Supreme Court to review Gull’s decisions in order to seal some documents in the case. The motion also seeks to have Baldwin and Rozzi reinstated as Allen’s attorneys, the Journal & Courier reported.
An Oct. 11 letter from Allen to Gull is included in that filing, and in it Allen tells the judge he wants Baldwin and Rozzi to continue representing him, writing that “I believe they are acting in a manner that is in my best interest.”
Chief Justice Loretta Rush issued an order Monday stating that any briefs opposing those requests must be filed with the high court by Nov. 9. Her order adds: “Once briefing is completed, the Court will take the matter under advisement.”
A gag order issued by Gull in December 2022 bars attorneys, law enforcement officials, court personnel, the coroner and the girls’ family members from commenting on the case to the public or the media in any form including social media.
Prosecutors had sought the order, citing intense public scrutiny and media attention. Gull was brought in as a special judge to oversee the case after a Carroll County judge recused himself.
veryGood! (473)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Kelly Clarkson opens up about diagnosis that led to weight loss: 'I wasn't shocked'
- Friends imprisoned for decades cleared of 1987 New Year’s killing in Times Square
- Prosecutors weigh perjury charge for ex-Trump CFO Allen Weisselberg over civil fraud trial testimony
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Arizona lawmaker Amish Shah resigns, plans congressional run
- FBI Director Chris Wray warns Congress that Chinese hackers targeting U.S. infrastructure as U.S. disrupts foreign botnet Volt Typhoon
- New Hampshire school worker is charged with assaulting 7-year-olds, weeks after similar incident
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Make the best Valentine's Day card with these hilariously heartfelt jokes and pickup lines
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- We’re Confident You’ll Want to See Justin and Hailey Bieber’s PDA Photo
- Probe into dozens of Connecticut state troopers finds 7 who ‘may have’ falsified traffic stop data
- Reports: Commanders name former Cowboys defensive coordinator, Dan Quinn, new head coach
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- The Daily Money: Child tax credit to rise?
- Ravens TE Mark Andrews helps aid woman with medical emergency on flight
- Former suburban St. Louis police officer now charged with sexually assaulting 19 men
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Disney appeals dismissal of free speech lawsuit as DeSantis says company should ‘move on’
Kentucky House boosts school spending but leaves out guaranteed teacher raises and universal pre-K
Rising seas and frequent storms are battering California’s piers, threatening the iconic landmarks
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Ravens TE Mark Andrews helps aid woman with medical emergency on flight
Sports is the leading edge in the fight against racism. Read 29 Black Stories in 29 Days.
Prosecutors detail possible expert witnesses in federal case against officers in Tyre Nichols death