Current:Home > reviewsFormer 'Blue's Clues' host Steve Burns shares 'horror and heartbreak' about 'Quiet on Set' -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Former 'Blue's Clues' host Steve Burns shares 'horror and heartbreak' about 'Quiet on Set'
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 09:27:55
Steve Burns listened to fans' thoughts on "Quiet on Set," and now, he's sharing his own.
The former "Blue's Clues" host, 50, spoke with Today and expressed his "horror and heartbreak" about the Investigation Discovery documentary series that explored alleged abuse experienced by Nickelodeon stars.
"It's just terrible to watch it unfold," he said. "I don't know what else to say, other than that it's heartbreaking."
Burns was the original host of the children's TV series "Blue's Clues," which aired on Nick Jr., a Nickelodeon programming block directed at younger kids. Burns, who hosted from 1996 to 2002, told Today that Nick Jr. and Nickelodeon "were so different," so he didn't have "any particular insight" to share.
Still, Burns told the outlet that it has to be "unfathomably painful" for those who are reliving traumatic memories.
"The fact that this is now what everyone’s talking about at the water cooler, it just breaks my heart," he added.
'Quiet on Set' new episode:Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
Steve Burns' 'Quiet on Set' reaction came ahead of new episode featuring Giovonnie Samuels, Bryan Hearne
In "Quiet on Set," former "Drake & Josh" star Drake Bell alleged he was sexually assaulted by Brian Peck, a Nickelodeon dialogue coach who was later convicted of child sexual abuse. A mother also alleged a production assistant, Jason Handy, sent her daughter a nude photograph. The documentary additionally accused producer Dan Schneider of inappropriate behavior, such as asking employees for massages, and creating a toxic work environment on his shows.
In a new, fifth episode that aired on Sunday, former "All That" child actor Shane Lyons alleged Peck made "passes" at him on set. The episode also included a previously unseen interview with "The Amanda Show" star Raquel Lee Bolleau, who recalled being "so mad" about a sketch where Amanda Bynes spit in her face multiple times.
"All That" alums Giovonnie Samuels and Bryan Hearne also spoke out in the new episode, with Samuels revealing Schneider called her a week before "Quiet on Set" aired and asked for her support. She said she told the producer she was "terrified" of him. Hearne also dismissed Schneider's apology video, saying, "I think that he brushed off some (acting) chops and gave us a nice performance."
In March, Burns shared a TikTok video that did not directly mention "Quiet on Set" but was interpreted as being directed at fans who were upset by the documentary. In the video, Burns said he was "checking in" and asked followers what was "going on" before staring at the camera intently, nodding his head as if the viewer was speaking to him like he used to do on "Blue's Clues."
The TikTok drew more than 1 million likes and tens of thousands of comments from fans who said it left them feeling emotional.
"Steve checking up on the now grown up kids he left behind is another level of full circle moment," one fan wrote, while another posted, "Thank you for being one of the GOOD parts of Nickelodeon, Steve."
Steve Burns''Blue's Clues' video is the big warm hug we all needed, especially millennials
Kenan Thompson, Melissa Joan Hart previously reacted to 'Quiet on Set'
Burns joined a chorus of former Nickelodeon stars who have reacted to the allegations in "Quiet on Set." "All That" alum Kenan Thompson said on "Tamron Hall" in March that while he "never witnessed" anything that was described in the documentary himself, his "heart goes out to anybody that's been victimized or their families," and he called on Nickelodeon to "investigate more."
"Clarissa Explains It All" star Melissa Joan Hart also said on the "Meghan McCain Has Entered The Chat" podcast that while she had a positive experience at Nickelodeon, she "absolutely" believes those who came forward.
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY
veryGood! (15)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- 2024 Tony Awards nominations announced to honor the best of Broadway. See the list of nominees here.
- Hope Hicks takes the stand to testify at Trump trial
- New Hampshire moves to tighten rules on name changes for violent felons
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Live updates: NYPD says officer fired gun on Columbia campus; NYU, New School protests cleared
- Indiana Fever move WNBA preseason home game to accommodate Pacers' playoff schedule
- Commuters cautioned about weekend construction on damaged Interstate 95 in Connecticut
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Self-exiled Chinese businessman’s chief of staff pleads guilty weeks before trial
- North Carolina candidate for Congress suspends campaign days before primary runoff after Trump weighs in
- Settlement could cost NCAA nearly $3 billion; plan to pay athletes would need federal protection
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Canucks knock out Predators with Game 6 victory, will face Oilers
- A shooting over pizza delivery mix-up? Small mistakes keep proving to be dangerous in USA.
- Employer who fired 78-year-old receptionist must now pay her $78,000
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Charlie Puth Finally Reacts to Taylor Swift’s Tortured Poets Department Song Name Drop
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen: Protecting democracy is vital to safeguard strong economy
Britney Spears' divorce nears an end 8 months after Sam Asghari filed to dissolve marriage
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Researchers found the planet's deepest under-ocean sinkhole — and it's so big, they can't get to the bottom
Safety lapses contributed to patient assaults at Oregon State Hospital, federal report says
NYC man pleads guilty to selling cougar head, other exotic animal parts to undercover investigator