Current:Home > InvestHong Kong’s top court restores activist’s conviction over banned vigil on Tiananmen crackdown -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Hong Kong’s top court restores activist’s conviction over banned vigil on Tiananmen crackdown
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:24:35
HONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong’s top court on Thursday restored a prominent detained activist’s conviction over a banned vigil commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown on pro-democracy protesters, marking the latest setback for the city’s democracy supporters.
Chow Hang-tung, a former leader of the now-disbanded Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, had been sentenced to 15 months in prison in January 2022 for inciting others to take part in the vigil banned by the police on public health grounds during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021.
For decades, the annual vigil organized by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the 1989 crackdown on Chinese soil and was attended by massive crowds until authorities banned it in 2020, citing anti-pandemic measures.
In December 2022, Chow won her appeal against her conviction in a rare victory for the city’s activists under Beijing’s crackdown on dissidents.
At that time, a High Court judge ruled that although Chow had encouraged others to gather at a park, it was not a crime because the legality of the ban was not established. In quashing her original conviction, the judge ruled that the police had failed to discharge their positive duty to take the initiative in considering feasible measures as conditions enabling the annual vigil to be held.
But the government appealed against the judge’s decision.
On Thursday, the Court of Final Appeal restored Chow’s conviction. Justice Roberto Ribeiro said in a written judgement the police’s ban was a “plainly a proportionate and legitimate measure.”
If the police chief “gives genuine consideration to whether the specified interests can be met by the imposition of certain conditions but reasonably decides that this cannot be achieved, he is not required... to refrain from prohibiting the assembly,” Ribeiro said.
The alliance was best known for organizing candlelight vigils in Hong Kong’s Victoria Park on the anniversary of the 1989 China military’s crushing of Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests. But it voted to disband in 2021 under the shadow of a Beijing-imposed national security law.
Supporters say its closure has shown freedoms and autonomy that were promised when the former British colony returned to China in 1997 are diminishing.
Last year, Victoria Park was occupied instead by a carnival organized by pro-Beijing groups to celebrate the 1997 handover even after COVID-19 restrictions were lifted. As authorities erased reminders of the massacre, some Hong Kongers fought to keep memories alive by distributing LED candles, writing about the crackdown, or buying books about it.
Chow was also sentenced to 4 1/2 months in jail for failing to provide authorities with information on the alliance last year. Separately, she and two other former alliance leaders, Lee Cheuk-yan and Albert Ho, were charged with subversion under the national security law.
The law criminalizes secession, subversion, and collusion with foreign forces to intervene in the city’s affairs as well as terrorism. Many pro-democracy activists were silenced or jailed after its enactment in 2020. But Beijing and Hong Kong governments hailed it for bringing back stability to the city.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- West Virginia advances bill to add photos to all SNAP cards, despite enforcement concerns
- EU Parliament adopts resolution calling for permanent cease-fire in Gaza but Hamas must go
- Court upholds block on Texas law requiring school book vendors to provide sexual content ratings
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Georgia judge sets a hearing on misconduct allegations against Fani Willis in Trump election case
- A Swedish-Iranian man in his 60s arrested last year in Iran, Sweden says
- Georgia’s governor says more clean energy will be needed to fuel electric vehicle manufacturing
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Warriors vs. Mavericks game postponed following death of assistant coach Dejan Milojević
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- A look inside the Icon of the Seas, the world's biggest cruise ship, as it prepares for voyage
- Kim Kardashian's Office Has 3-D Model of Her Brain, a Tanning Bed and More Bizarre Features
- Apple Watch users are losing a popular health app after court's ruling in patent case
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Barking dog leads to rescue of missing woman off trail in Hawaii
- Wisconsin Assembly approves bill guaranteeing parental oversight of children’s education
- Could Elon Musk become world's first trillionaire? Oxfam report says someone might soon
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Patriots coach Jerod Mayo lays out vision for new era: 'I'm not trying to be Bill' Belichick
Lizzie McGuire Writer Reveals Dramatic Plot of Canceled Reboot
Google CEO warns of more layoffs in 2024 amid artificial intelligence push
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
What does this IRS code mean on my tax refund? Codes 826, 846, 570 and more explained.
Woman dies after fall in cave in western Virginia
DOJ's Uvalde report finds unimaginable failure in school shooting response. Here are the key takeaways.