Current:Home > reviewsAll smiles, Prince Harry returns to the UK for children's charity event -TrueNorth Capital Hub
All smiles, Prince Harry returns to the UK for children's charity event
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 04:00:08
LONDON — Prince Harry returned to Britain on Monday for a charity event for seriously ill children, appearing happy and playful as he chatted with the youngsters.
"Huge congratulations, you little legends. I salute you. We salute you," a beaming Harry said in a speech at the annual ceremony staged in London by the WellChild charity, for which he is a patron.
"The WellChild Awards is an event that never fails to inspire me," the prince said. "The stories of young people who battle against the odds, living lives filled with medical procedures, hospital stays, endless appointments, they remind us all of the strength of the human spirit."
Harry, King Charles' younger son, is rarely out of the media spotlight despite stepping down from official royal duties, but the focus on the Duke of Sussex has been particularly intense this month after he celebrated his 40th birthday and began a series of public appearances.
He was in New York last week, where he called on governments to work more closely with young people, warning about the online dangers children faced and criticising the leaders of social media companies for not doing more to protect them.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
King Charles III and Prince Williamwish Prince Harry a happy birthday amid family rift
He also appeared in a segment on the NBC flagship late-night talk program "The Tonight Show," where he was shown shouting and swearing as he joined the host Jimmy Fallon walking through a 'haunted maze' attraction.
Harry has only occasionally returned to Britain since his move to California with his American wife Meghan in 2020 and his subsequent public falling-out with the other Windsors, most notably his father and elder brother Prince William.
It was not clear if Harry will see any of his family on his latest return trip, and the Duke's spokesman declined to comment.
Prince Harryadmits tabloid lawsuits are a 'central piece' in rift with royal family
He was last in Britain in May for events to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Invictus Games. The king, who has been undergoing treatment for cancer, was too busy to see him then.
Harry is also still involved in legal action against the British government over the security provided to himself and his family while in his homeland, arguing that he is concerned for the safety of Meghan and their two children, Prince Archie, 5, and Princess Lilibet, 3.
(Reporting by Michael Holden, Additional reporting by Muvija M, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien)
veryGood! (261)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Mother of US soldier detained in North Korea says life transformed into 'nightmare'
- Doritos recall: Frito-Lay recalls Nacho Cheese chips sold in Pennsylvania for allergy concerns
- U.S. pushes Taliban on human rights, American prisoners 2 years after hardliners' Afghanistan takeover
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- After the East Palestine train derailment, are railroads any safer?
- Calling all influencers! Get paid $100k to make content for pizza delivery app, Slice
- How Angus Cloud Is Being Honored By His Hometown Days After His Death
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- 'ESPN8: The Ocho' bringing back 'seldom seen sports': How to watch cornhole, corgi races
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- The Miami-Dade police chief and his wife argued before he shot himself, bodycam footage shows
- 2 US Navy sailors arrested on charges tied to national security and China
- U.S. Women’s World Cup tie with Portugal draws overnight audience of 1.35 million on Fox
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and More Stars Donate $1 Million to Striking Actors Fund
- Lizzo Breaks Silence on False and Outrageous Lawsuit Allegations
- Biden calls for immediate release of Niger's president amid apparent coup
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Why Will Smith Regrets Pushing Daughter Willow Smith Into Show Business as a Kid
A 13 year old boy is charged with murder in the shooting of an Albuquerque woman
Drexel men’s basketball player Terrence Butler found dead in his apartment
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Biden calls for immediate release of Niger's president amid apparent coup
Texas DPS separating several fathers from families seeking asylum, attorney says
The Parkland school massacre will be reenacted, with gunfire, in lawsuit against sheriff’s deputy