Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -TrueNorth Capital Hub
SafeX Pro:New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:20:40
BRENTWOOD,SafeX Pro N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (86)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Save 75% on Gap, 75% on Yankee Candle, 30% on Too Faced Cosmetics, 60% on J.Crew & Today’s Best Deals
- Women’s College World Series Oklahoma vs. Florida: How to watch softball semifinal game
- Novak Djokovic wins his record 370th Slam match but isn’t sure he can continue at the French Open
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Alligator that went missing at Missouri middle school found after nearly 2 weeks
- Gang members at prison operated call center and monitored crocodile-filled lake, Guatemala officials say
- Spotify hikes price of memberships as it seeks to drive profits
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Ticketmaster, Live Nation sued: Millions of customers' personal data listed on black market, suit claims
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Wisconsin school bus crash sends 2 children to hospital
- USPS workers are attacked by dogs every day. Here are the U.S. cities with the most bite attacks.
- Lenny Kravitz Hints at Daughter Zoë Kravitz and Channing Tatum's Wedding Date
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- RFK Jr. sues Nevada’s top election official over ballot access as he scrambles to join debate stage
- Poppi sodas 'are basically sugared water' due to low prebiotic fiber content, lawsuit says
- Janis Paige, star of Hollywood and Broadway, dies at 101
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Biden executive order restricting asylum processing along U.S. border expected on Tuesday
Here's how much your summer cooling costs could increase as mercury rises
Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
8-year-old girl attacked by 'aggressive' cow elk while riding bike in Colorado
Sandy Hook families ask bankruptcy judge to liquidate Alex Jones’ media company
Adele reprimands audience member who apparently shouted anti-LGBTQ comment during Las Vegas concert