Current:Home > StocksMan convicted of removing condom without consent during sex in Netherlands' first "stealthing" trial -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Man convicted of removing condom without consent during sex in Netherlands' first "stealthing" trial
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:15:18
A Dutch man was convicted Tuesday of removing his condom during sex without his partner's consent, in the first trial in the Netherlands for so-called "stealthing."
However Dordrecht District Court acquitted the man of a rape charge because it ruled that the sex was consensual.
"By his actions, the suspect forced the victim to tolerate having unprotected sex with him. In doing so, he restricted her personal freedom and abused the trust she had placed in him," the court said.
The suspect sent the victim texts afterwards including one that said "you will be fine," AFP reported, citing the court.
Other courts also have also tackled the phenomenon in recent years. In a case in Germany, a Berlin court in 2018 convicted a police officer of sexual assault and gave him an eight-month suspended sentence for secretly removing his condom during intercourse, and ordered him to pay damages of nearly 3,100 euros to the victim. The suspended sentence was reduced to six months on an initial appeal.
In 2021, California lawmakers made the state the first in the U.S. to outlaw "stealthing," making it illegal to remove a condom without obtaining verbal consent. But it didn't change the criminal code. Instead, it would amend the civil code so that a victim could sue the perpetrator for damages, including punitive damages.
In the case in Dordrecht, a 28-year-old man from Rotterdam was given a three-month suspended prison term - meaning he won't have to serve the sentence unless he commits another crime - and ordered to pay his victim 1,000 euros ($1,073) in damages.
In a separate case, judges cleared a 25-year-old man after finding that he had not removed a condom at any time, but had instead failed to put one on in the heat of the moment.
The Netherlands has no specific law against "stealthing" but these were the first rulings on the practice, public broadcaster NOS said, adding that there had been similar rulings in countries including Germany, Switzerland and New Zealand.
A 2017 Yale study that found both men and women have been victims of stealthing. The researchers found that along with victims being fearful of having gotten a sexually transmitted infection or an unwanted pregnancy, they also described the experience as a "disempowering, demeaning violation of a sexual agreement."
AFP contributed to this report.
- In:
- Sex Crimes
- Netherlands
veryGood! (9)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Oscars get audience bump from ‘Barbie’ and ‘Oppenheimer,’ but ratings aren’t quite a blockbuster
- Donald Trump roasted Jimmy Kimmel on social media during the Oscars. Then the host read it on air.
- Eva Longoria Reveals Her Unexpected Pre-Oscars Meal
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Untangling Sister Wives Star Kody Brown's Family Tree With Christine, Meri, Janelle & Robyn
- Oregon governor wants tolling plan on 2 Portland-area freeways scrapped
- Kirk Cousins chooses Atlanta, Saquon Barkley goes to Philly on a busy first day of NFL free agency
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- The 9 Best Comforter Sets of 2024 That’re Soft, Cozy, and Hotel-Like, According to Reviewers
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- New lawsuit possible, lawyer says, after Trump renews attack on writer who won $83.3 million award
- Sen. Bob Menendez and wife plead not guilty to latest obstruction of justice charges
- LinkedIn goes down on Wednesday, following Facebook outage on Super Tuesday
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- The Body Shop shutters all store locations in United States as chain files for bankruptcy
- Brother of LSU basketball player Flau'jae Johnson arrested after SEC title game near-brawl
- F1 Arcade set to open first U.S. location in Boston; Washington, D.C. to follow
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
The 9 Best Comforter Sets of 2024 That’re Soft, Cozy, and Hotel-Like, According to Reviewers
Most automated driving systems aren’t good making sure drivers pay attention, insurance group says
3 children and 2 adults die after school bus collides with semi in Illinois, authorities say
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Louisiana lawmakers set out on a clear path for conservative priorities
2 dogs die during 1,000-mile Iditarod, prompting call from PETA to end the race across Alaska
Emma Stone won, but Lily Gladstone didn’t lose